MOST of the time:
Affect is a verb and it is describing something done to you.
Effect is a noun and it is describing the outcome of something that has been done.
- The news affected her dramatically.
- The effect of the news was dramatic.
To have the most _________, you should know both your strengths and your weaknesses well.
I did not know that antibiotics could ________ people so quickly.
Sometimes, affect is a noun. Affect as a noun means feeling, emotion, or specific emotional response. This is usually used in psychological contexts.
- Example: The patient had a flat affect.
- Example: Understanding more about the primary innate affects and the plasticity of the brain has important clinical implications.
Sometimes, effect is a verb. It means to bring about change. It usually shows up with nouns like “change” or “solutions.”
- Example: The school’s new policy effected a turnaround in its dropout rate.
- Example: The protestors wanted to effect change in the corrupt government